It is an enchanting place. So claime natives and foreigners. The first ones because they know what it takes to even think in leaving it behind and the latters, because it always summons them to return. It is a city that opens its gates to visitors, and makes no bones about its charms.
In this city, also known as “La Villa Azul de los Molinos”, in a rough translation “The Blue Villa of the Mills”, Don Quixote, which faces the sea and the mills coexists with a seawall that treasures the particularity of having a freshwater spring, in which, through times, more than one visitor satiated his thirst.
Below we list five places of obliged visit for every resident who dwells in the aforementioned city of eastern Cuba:
La Loma or Castillo de Salcedo Fort.
National monument since 1981, was built between 1869 and 1874 is a construction of the so-called Caribbean military architecture of the nineteenth century .
It occupies a very strategic place because from the height the bay and the whole population could be watched from the north, while to the south it guarded the cultivated areas and the nearby fields, playing its most important role during the years of the War of Independence (1868-1878).
Due to its historical and cultural values and its connection with the very emergence of Puerto Padre, the Fort it is the pride of the community and an obliged visit for many national and foreign tourists.
El Pocito de agua dulce.
It is a bit of sweet water that is located on the shores of the Atlantic, right on the Seawall of the Villa Azul.
It is said that, discovered thanks to the “cleverness” of a cow – that every morning drank there – this place has become an obliged visit. But the truth is that it is extremely unusual to find a freshwater spring on the shores of the sea.
On a coastline of eleven kilometers of virgin beaches, with a fine white sand and a immense sea, which hides in its heart one of the most important coral bottoms in Cuba, tinged by its system of caverns in wich hundreds of marine species dwell. There a four stras category Hotel, of the same name, exists; with 180 rooms that ensure the enjoyement of the beauty of this singular beach.
The Bay of Malagueta, located west of Puerto Padre, has as main feature its average depth, which makes it unsuitable for navigation unless they are shallow vessels.
The eastern part of Malagueta is known as Escobar Bay, and is largely made up of shallow lagoons, where marine and tropical birds such as pelicans, herons, wild ducks that people call “ yaguazas” and even flamingos abound.
The tranquility and diversity of its natural attractions makes it a space visited by families, especially in summer, in the quest to enjoy a unique day away from the hustle and bustle of the city and with the incentive to enjoy the coastal nature.
Juan Claro Key (Puerto Carúpano)
It is a key located in the northern part of Puerto Padre. It has a Mercantile Port (Carúpano) through which the products derived from the Antonio Guiteras sugarmill and other industries from the neighboring provinces of Camagüey and Holguín are exported. It is a site of historical-natural values, endowed with a street made out of stone that joins the town of Delicias with the maritime enclave. This was the firts bridge of its kind built in Cuba.